I frequently get some variation of the question "Doc, is it better to do braces or invisible braces?"
I'll briefly discuss the advantages and disadvantages with each of these options. For this blog, braces are wires/brackets and invisible braces are Invisalign aligners.
Wires and brackets
In some difficult cases, certain tooth movements are only possible with wires and brackets. Invisalign cannot work in every case.
|Although the teeth are straight, the inability to maintain|
adequate hygiene has resulted in discolored and decayed teeth.
- Unpredictable final outcome.
- Oral hygiene is compromised.
- Treatment time on average is 2-3 years.
- When brackets are removed, there is often some decay or discoloration of the teeth. Also, during bracket removal, tooth structure is often inadvertently chipped off the tooth surface.
- Food restrictions. Some foods are off limits.
- Wires and brackets often poke the soft tissue and sore irritated areas often develop.
- More discomfort when teeth move.
- Final outcome is more predictable.
- Better oral hygiene.
- Treatment time is much faster. On average, treatment is typically about a year.
- No food restrictions.
- Less discomfort as teeth move because of the predictable and precise movements.
- More aesthetic.
|Invisalign aligners are nearly invisible|
and are very tolerable to wear.
If not compliant with wearing the aligners, then the teeth will not move to the desired position. In other words, if you don't wear them, the teeth will not move.
In conclusion, I prefer Invisalign (when feasible to treat with this modality) over wires/brackets. However, I have friends and family that prefer to have wires. I don't understand why. I think for school age kids, it may be a status symbol to have brackets. I don't get it.
Feel free to visit the Invisalign website (www.invisalign.com) for more information.
Dr. Cisneros maintains a practice in Freeburg and Columbia, IL. Both are in the Greater St Louis, MO area. For more information on a wide variety of subjects, please visit www.advanced-smiles.com.