Thursday, September 3, 2015

Top 5 Reasons People Avoid The Dentist



Approximately only 20% of the population will visit the dentist on a regular basis. Does this mean that the other 80% don't care about their teeth? Not necessarily. 

Here are the top 5 reasons (in no particular order) people avoid dentists.

1. Time

Many of us have busy lives. However, during a period of six months, we should all be able to find an hour in our busy schedules. There is simply no excuse.

2. Money

No matter who you are, we all have money problems. Even rich people have money problems. 

I know getting your teeth fixed can often be expensive. The cheapest it's ever going to be is when problems are addressed in the earliest stages. There are many affordable financial options available to help you keep the beautiful smile you deserve.

I often use  an analogy when addressing this concern. Either change your oil, or wait and change your engine, or wait and change your car, or wait and don't drive. Most people understand the message when I put it this way.

3. Trust

Some people want to hear that they are perfectly healthy and don't require any treatment. When a dentist recommends treatment, they may not believe what they are told.

I often take pictures that the patient can view themselves. This way, I don't have to convince them if there is a problem. They pretty much see their problems without having to say a word.

They will make their own decisions on what to do about it. I make recommendations as if they were a family member. However, what they do about it is completely up to them.

4. Sense of Urgency

I agree with the statement "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". However, most patients don't know what they don't know. 

The problem is that most of us never really look inside our mouths and don't really know what condition it's in. In many cases, there is a lack of pain, so we predictably never act on any issues that may be present.

Again, I take pictures to demonstrate the condition of each of my patients mouths.

5. Fear

This is perhaps the most common reason people avoid the dentist. Many people are extremely fearful of getting their mouths treated.

Fortunately, we have made significant improvements in the delivery of dental care. There are many options to allay any fear. We can sedate with medications, we use much improved anesthetic techniques, and we simply reassure the patient that they will be completely comfortable. I often say silly things. I'll frequently say "you don't have to be tough, you just have to be numb". 

Dentistry today truly can be a pleasant experience. Yes! Truly!



Dr. Cisneros maintains a practice in Freeburg and Columbia, IL. Both are in the Greater St Louis, MO area. For more information on a wide variety of subjects, please visit www.advanced-smiles.com




No comments:

Post a Comment